Monday, February 07, 2011

I Think I Have a (Methodological) Split Personality

Annie poses the following question in her blog:

“Is an ‘epistemology that admits to ontological truth’ inconsistent with the world view that motivates an ethnographic approach to research? Allina-Pisano says no. Wedeen, for example, tends toward yes. What do we think?”

I for one am trying to diagnose my own split-personality disorder with respect to methodology. O Doctor of Philosophy, what is wrong with me? Why do I love both ethnography and statistical research?

I do not buy the view that only ethnography can study the world of the “subaltern” and the powerless. However, I have personally had several experiences where ethnography, or an ethnographic-like approach to looking at the world, exploded my comfortable ideas in an illuminating, even thrilling way:

· When I was studying at the American University in Cairo, I took a course by an American anthropologist on the “anthropology of development.” He took us on field trips to several USAID development projects that were put in place without adequate knowledge of cultural and other local realities. I have a vivid memory, for example, of a USAID-financed paved road in the desert. It was covered over by sand, only its edges peeking out. The local villagers had covered it over because camels, which are used for transportation in much of Egypt, found the black tarmac too hot and hard for their feet and would not walk on it.

· When I was studying conflict resolution in my Master’s program, I read a collection of studies—ranging between ethnographic and journalistic in nature—of actual prominent mediators in practice (Deborah Kolb and associates, When Talk Works: Profiles of Mediators). The vast range of mediation methods revealed in these studies was at sharp odds with the received wisdom on mediation methods proffered by how-to books found on beginning mediators’ shelves.

· A collection of ethnographies on different gender roles in different societies around the world (including small-scale, nonindustrialized cultures) demonstrated that gender roles do not simply fall on a spectrum from more sexist to more egalitarian. One tribe in Nigeria, for example, had two separate governments—one for men, one for women. None of the cultures was found to be “matriarchal” in the same manner that male-dominated cultures are patriarchal (there were female-headed societies, but the nature of their rule was not the same as in male-headed societies). In other words, my simple categories of “egalitarian” or “sexist,” or even “matriarchal,” turned out to be utterly inadequate to understand the range of different gender relations. (I forget the name of the book—sorry—it was borrowed.)

I love ethnography and what it can offer. However, I also love large-N statistical research, or even the smaller-N kind of research done in a similar epistemological vein (a la Barbara Geddes, Paradigms and Sand Castles). I do think that it is possible, to come up with some generalizations about human behavior--at least probabilistic ones. I rely on these in my professional practice—for a simple example, I have learned that people are more attached and committed to a plan or proposal which they have had a hand in developing. My professional experience has borne that out time and time again.

Yet I’m not quite ready simply to declare myself an ontological and epistemological comrade of Jessica Allina-Pisano in Schatz’ Political Ethnography. Ethnography has more to offer than just a more detailed, intimate look at a separate, observer-independent world. Of course social realities are shaped by those in it, and the ethnographer (or any observer) places himself or herself in it alongside those being observed. Of course multiple takes on the same set of events can have validity. My professional experience affirms this too, particularly when I am taking perspectives of different parties to a conflict. I have learned to become comfortable with the ambiguity inherent in many conflicts: two (or more) different people can have seemingly opposite views of what has happened and they can both be valid.

I guess I am just a case of split personality. Doctor of Philosophy, help me please!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ela said...

If you've got a split personality, then this video clip is for you. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.) Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlMMkE2IPj4

9:38 PM  
Blogger Efe Sevin said...

As some of you might know, I spent my last semester trying to argue against KKV and their understanding of science, as well as the neo-positivist conception of social sciences... I pretty much risked failing the CRS comp because the question asked about multi-methodological approaches in the field and I wrote a 3-page response about how the dominant neo-positivist understanding kills all kinds of methodological debate. (The damage is so out of control that method and methodology are pretty much the same words).

Anyhow, interestingly enough reading/reading about ethnographic works actually helped me understand why KKV decided to write such a book...

Coming to Suzanne's post, I do understand the merits of ethnographic research like she does. But I still want generalizable knowledge, I at least want categorizable information rather than 'here is a chunk of information about this particular community written in a readable format'. Do I have a split personality, too?

5:11 PM  
Blogger TAW said...

While i definitely understand where you are coming from, I chose to look at what we're learning and reading as building a toolkit to use. while i still may not understand the ends and outs of ethnography, or its limits, I'm excited, especially in light of the challenges of quantitative analysis, to have alternative ways for looking at some of the same issues in social science. Knowing that there are other ways to attain knowledge as well as other ways of interpreting knowledge is actually quite liberating

4:11 PM  
Blogger adabunny said...

Suzanne, you are not alone! On the one hand, I can't imagine trying to understand Palestine without properly living there and being "immersed" in the local culture and the knowledge it entails. At the same time, I think it is also valuable to do a more quantitative/qualitative analysis of what Palestinians (to just continue this particular example) think about X, how they phrase words and/or use expressions, how they generally understand fuzzy concepts like 'nationalism', etc. For me, the one helps the other...

I think I am an ethnographic agnostic...

4:53 PM  
Blogger SonjaKelly said...

I also really would like to use a multiple methodological approach in my dissertation research, and in terms of contributing something NEW to the field, I feel like a multi-methodological approach is a good way to do that.

But here's the thing about a multi-methodological approach: you have to have a very significant arsenal of tools in your tool box in order to do it well. And, as I am quickly coming to understand, we only have a limited amount of time (and money, and credits) to gather such tools.

So where does that leave us? Do we just pick one and remain sympathetic to others? Or is there something I am missing?

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home