Thursday, March 31, 2005

Re: Lyotard

I agree with Dylan's criticism that Lyotard's post-modernism is in itself a metanarrative. I think this is perhaps the most serious criticism against what he has to say. But overall I find this position very attractive, especially the argument that science had come to dominate our thinking without us realizing it. Intrinsically, we do place a lot of weight on proof, logic and reason, but as Lyotard said, proof (or science) cannot prove itself.Lyotard presents an interesting extention/elaboration of Wittgenstein's language games to show how the whole of "reality" as we know it is composed of games.A minor point that I either don't understand well enough or disagree with in Lyotard's book is his criticism of Habermas' idea of social consensus (which I share) alongwith an elevation of the concept of social justice. It seems to me that Lyotard is simply replacing with goal (consensus) with another (justice).

1 Comments:

Blogger ProfPTJ said...

If we take Lyotard seriously, is it ever possible not to have a goal? Can one actually be a "postmodernist"?

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home