Sunday, February 20, 2011

Of Fractals and a (Research) Existential Crisis of Sorts

Abbott's usage of fractals in describing the concept of self similarity in social structures seems relatively easy to grasp when we consider gender roles and political structures. His breakdown of the realm of "women's" work within the predominantly male labor force or "men's" work in the traditionally female realm of housework, reflected my analysis of the way the world (traditionally) works, or even how political parties tend to be far more similar that they are different.

Oddly enough however, once you apply it to knowledge seeking in the social sciences, this application becomes, uneasy. I think much of my discomfort stems from my own construction of what knowledge is and what I have been previously (perhaps even loftily) socialized to think of what the pursuit of knowledge should look like. Becoming increasingly aware of how methodological entrenchment within the social science shapes the kind of inquiry we value, the two (researcher as occupation and researcher as vocation) seems almost incompatible in a sense. Arguably, Weber has done me the kind service of bursting any bubbles laden with images of fame and riches as an academic, yet charges us to pursue knowledge because we feel an almost spiritual connection to it (keeping in mind the challenges of having to jump over tons of hurdles to get to the research promised land). Abbott on the other hand, stirs up anxieties about how much time and energy are spent having death-matches over methodologies and schools of thought that in his estimation aren't really all that different.

Sure, the realm of academia is also socially constructed and highly institutionalized, but the nature of the fractal as an analogy describing the field (in this case) also has some indication of existing outside of the social (and therefore constructed) sphere. I have yet to make sense of what the implications of that would be.

What's frustrating is that despite our self-perceived enlightenment (whether real or imagined), the brute fact of the field we are preparing to enter requires us to make choices about where we will fit into these debates, and imposes limits within the socio-professional circle. In an old facebook post, I joked that a reality TV show should be made for academics. What would make it unique, in my estimation, from the Jersey Shores of the world is that feuding academics come for your paycheck and self worth.

"Social science is ostensibly the study of social life without value judgements"(199). I find it interesting that it is in the chapter speaking of politicians and moralists, that we find the more rigorous social science debates. It appears that much of the debate centers around infusing our moral values into the examination of social life. If we have a higher spiritual calling (if we're to take Weber's word for it) to research, perhaps it is a bastardization of that in a sense that entrenches us into the way we eventually define good knowledge (a value judgement) and inquiry, and the methods we employ to accomplish the pursuit of those aims.

As usual, the readings leave me with more questions than answers:

  • What are the implications of the fractalization of the discipline on me/us choosing a methodology and how its received in the field?
  • Furthermore, how am I to feel good as an excited young researcher charged with creating "new knowledge" if all my innovations are merely reinventing the wheel?
  • Where would a student with these concerns fit into his depiction of the individual's relation to the self-similar social structure of academia?


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger priyajayne said...

I think Tatiana has posed several interesting questions and they mirror similar ones that I had when reading Chaos of Disciplines. I feel this push and pull when it comes to being a good scholar. On one hand, I hear that learning the ins and outs of one methodology is necessary in order to do it well. On the other hand, I also hear that it is important to learn the landscape of other methodologies to see how it can potentially inform my research. Is it possible to do both? Do I have to choose – especially if Abbott is correct and all theories are self-similar anyway and divisions between them are not always that substantive? It seems that the danger of any scholar is to get completely immerse in their own world and forget that there are benefits to looking outside their comfort zone. Using Abbott’s metaphor of the New York City map, I never want to become the annoying city person who doesn’t see any merit to leaving Manhattan (though as I am a Queens fanatic, I doubt that will ever happen). To that end, I found this quote of Abbott’s to be particularly helpful in understanding this intellectual morass/creative tension:

“Synchronically, the indexicality of these distinctions encapsulates systems of knowledge in compact form but also generates endless misunderstandings. Diachronically, such distinctions give rise to the processes of perpetual rediscovery that I have called fractal cycles” (147).

On a somewhat related note, can anyone help explain reparameterization to me (first appears on page 169)? It sounds so alluring yet I had a hard time grasping what he meant by it.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Kate Tennis said...

Sorry Namalie, I’m afraid I can’t be the one to help out with the "reparameterization", as I’m just as confused as you are.

But I do want to respond to Tatianna’s comment that,
“Sure, the realm of academia is also socially constructed and highly institutionalized, but the nature of the fractal as an analogy describing the field (in this case) also has some indication of existing outside of the social (and therefore constructed) sphere.”

YES! I totally agree. This really annoyed me. Abbott presents as almost a “brute fact” his idea that the disciplines are fractalized. Though he acknowledges that the “fact” of discipline fractalization is socially constructed, the omnipresence of the fractal is almost taken as an independent truth. Yet the implications of this are huge. It implies that the entire discipline defines itself by discord. That every time a new sub-branch emerges it emerges through internal strife, rather than reconciling two previously antagonistic branches with one another, or (g-d forbid) and actual intellectual innovation. And as Tatianna noted, it leaves us young researchers feeling that we can only re-invent the wheel. If the discipline is truly socially constructed, couldn’t we construct it some other way?

I was left feeling that perhaps Abbott was in a stinky mood when he wrote this book. I was also left wondering whether if, after a nice nap and a cup of tea (or maybe a much needed sabbatical), he couldn’t have looked at the discipline through slightly rosier glasses. Perhaps we could map the trajectory of the academic thought onto multidimensional linear structures, sets of Venn diagrams, sequences of triangulations, categorizations, and so on.

Sure, I buy that his distinction works well in certain cases - I’m no Pollyanna, and I recognize that conflict is an inherent part of the academic game. But to imply that it applies across the board to all of academia, regardless of sub-field, context, or topic, seems grossly exaggerated. It also seems grossly depressing.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Ela said...

I have a different take on Abbot's perspective on academia and his motivations for writing the book. I think he IS painting a rosy picture, and here's why: If we buy his argument that fractalization and its attendant discord is a normal and natural part of intellectual activity, they we can accept our "rivals" on the opposite end of the pole as the necessary "other" in the fractal family tree to which we all belong.

Abbott is chairing a department of intellectual heavyweights, and so he has to deal with the in-fighting, the bickering, the attempts of one faction to purge another faction, etc. His way of dealing with this is to present a transcendental view of such ideological clashes by showing the inner logic -- and even necessity -- of such divisions. His point is that conflicts and tensions are necessary for creativity, and I find this view optimistic and refreshing.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Efe Sevin said...

To be honest, when I first heard the title, I was planning to read something about interdisciplinary structures. Indeed Abbott (kinda) mentions interdisciplinary works and the attempts of social science to explain (well) everything. Yet, the main point of his book turns about to be the debates within a given discipline...
Now, can this fact (the fact that disciplinary debate becoming the main discussion topic) show us why he wrote this book? We actually want to discuss what is happening within the discipline we are studying. We want to learn the debates, we are not that much interested in expanding our disciplinary focus to ask/answer questions.
Just my two cents...

6:02 PM  
Blogger SonjaKelly said...

Wow, such interesting directions that this conversation has taken!

I want to respond to a number of things. First, Tatiana posed the question of how we are to feel excited about our work if we are just reinventing the wheel. As we started discussing in class (albeit briefly), the fractalization allows us to apply the techniques and branches of the fractals to new questions, and I DO think that is exciting! In fact, to me, it is downright FREEING. If I can apply a set of ontological and/or epistemological assumptions to a new problem, then I have a greater degree of trust in those ontological and epistemological assumptions. In some sense, Abbott shows us how to trust our discipline, reducing error.

Second, I want to agree with Efe--Abbott only briefly discusses the mechanism by which different fractals can learn from one another. This left me slightly frustrated (but only slightly). I would be interested in learning more, particularly since Abbott himself seems to come from an interdisciplinary perspective.

Third, I agree with Ela insofar as I think this book is incredibly emancipatory (well, Ela, you didn't go so far as to use that particular word but...) insofar as it lets us zoom out of our ontological and epistemological boxes and see that there is USE and VALUE in the discussions we have regarding the efficacy of our various fractals. I see Abbott like a sweet grandfather, who, in his own parenting was safe and traditional, but in his later years is able to lend a jovial critique of the system that he previously perpetuated. We say "But what is the value of this debate, Papa Abbot???" And he just smiles and says "Yes," and chuckles to himself.

Anyway, that's how I see it. GREAT book. I am loving how it is playing with the way I think about my own work just a week after reading it.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home