Sunday, March 27, 2011

Habermas-Enlightment=Shotter?

Similar to several other scholars we read this semester, John Shotter also takes a look at the concept of 'reality' and defines it in relational terms. I learnt four important things from his work:


  • Wittgenstein actually makes sense. He has ideas and even a robust methodology.
  • It is possible to talk about time in spatial or dynamic terms.(For some reason, this reminds of time dilation and relativity.)
  • Disease can be interpreted as dis-ease. (Also, see Seasonal Affected Disorder)
  • Enlightenment might not be that good. (The subject I will be writing about in this post).


    I thought Enlightenment was 'cool'

    The very notion of being enlightened - simply stated as the attempt to live one's life in light of reason, not a victim of the mere opinions and prejudices of others - was that of people being able to be self-determining in the conduct of their own lives (p.19).


    And this has been my interpretation of the Age of Enlightenment. Individuals, who have been enchanted by traditions and religious thoughts, broke their intellectual chains. What I was not aware was the ontological approach brought in by Enlightenment. As Shotter describes 'observation' was seen the way to analyze objective (i.e. the one that exists outside our minds) reality. Enlightenment approach also claims that it is possible to create representations of the world to understand complex social mechanisms. Given the fact that Shotter claims reality is pretty much created through dynamic dialogue processes, it is not surprising to see that he accuses Enlightenment of confining our thinking... But wait! How can a 'school of values' confine our thinking? As Shotter also refers to Descartes (and as I found a nice short video), I want to pay a short visit to his ideas:



    Analyzing Social World - It Ain't Easy

    Let me reiterate two concepts:

    1- Methodological skepticism: We should doubt everything. It is not possible to know the existence of anything for sure (except existence of ourselves).
    2- Cartesian Dualism: There are physical objects and mental concepts. They are, well, separate.

    I argue that Shotter will not have strong objections to methodological skepticism at a fundamental level. Because the main point in skepticism is not to take any knowledge for granted. However, the methodological part might cause some problems as Descartes argues for a logical inquiry of physical objects and mental concepts.


    And this is the point I find it difficult to agree with relativist and/or interpretivist approaches. A social phenomenon might be created dynamically within a local context. However, does that necessarily mean it cannot be systematically and rationality analyzed? Shotter argues that we should replace a Cartesian view of the world with one 'in which the thins and events within are more intrinsically related to each other' (p.89). In Chapter 6 he uses the term 'eventings', experiences that occur for yet another first time (p.133). Why cannot be they categorized? Yes, they are unique events by themselves but does that necessarily mean a cross-case comparison is impossible? Chocolate ice-cream and apple pie are quite unique things, and probably have unique meanings (tastes?) to people. Yet, I am pretty sure if I am to describe the relationship between individuals and desserts - I can. There are subtle similarities (family resemblances?) among different desserts and social interactions that can be rationally extracted.

    The complexities of social interactions might make such an attempt impractical, but impossible - I don't think so. Let it be a phenomenon that already exists or one that is developing (p.68), can't we still aim to explain them? Isn't a case-based detailed description of how our ways of making sense work (p.6) just one short step below explaining how our ways work?

    So, two questions from me:

    - If we are to assume that Descartes is right about mind/world duality, what happens to a form of rationality-achieved-through contrasts, rather than rationality-as representation (p.67) understanding?

    - What if, reason and rationality (or logical inquiry) is the right way of analyzing social structures?







    PS: I have to say something about his understanding of science fiction... In Chapter 6, he says that "science fiction writing....enables us to imagine other ways in which we might make sense of our own forms of life (p.133)". This is an interesting argument we need to focus on "the changing relations occurring in our inter-activities, between ourselves and our surroundings"(p.133). Science fiction is practically a way of writing about the present without calling it present. But isn't it actually changing one (or more) aspects of the social mechanisms to speculate about what might happen? What if an outer space council monitored the behavior on Earth ( The Day the Earth Stood Still)? What if resources are literally controlled by one authority (Soylent Green)? What if there is an 'all-knowing' government (1984, Logan's Run)? What I am trying to say is, science fiction is also about replacing one of the cogs of contemporary social mechanism with a less probable one and re-discussing social relations. Therefore, it is more analytical than poetic in one sense (at least for me).

    PS 2: I forgot to talk about the title. Shotter's conversational reality understanding sounded very similar to Habermas's communicative action minus Habermas's stress on reason, rationality, and to an extent end-oriented approach.

  • Labels: , , , ,

    3 Comments:

    Blogger adabunny said...

    I had a lot of problems with this book. First, did no one edit it??!!! I found at least one mistake on every page, and it left me wondering whether he did it on purpose (it strikes me as Wittgensteinian) -- except it actually inhibited my ability to read it and attempt to understand.

    Also, I felt he could have said all he did in one chapter. His style of writing was heavy-handed and difficult for me to get through.

    Putting this aside, and in relation to Efe's post on Enlightenment, I kept thinking of the old adage, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

    Now, I was that loner child growing up who had no friends (except the imaginary kind and my sister) and was often verbally made fun of. No one ever threw sticks and stones at me (actually, maybe my sister), and when I was young and upset because "no one liked me", I used to repeat to myself the saying in an attempt to 'make it all OK'.
    It occurred to me a few years later (probably still in Elementary School) that this was utter rubbish! That I was much more hurt by the cruel things people said then any physical violence.

    I want to propose, therefore, that this saying exemplifies Enlightened Reason and Rationality, which prizes empirical Truth. Like most good therapists know, it is very tricky to quantify emotional pain. One person's hell might just bounce off another.
    So, if words hold this incredible power (and I believe they do), then Shotter and the others are on to something in highlighting dialogical understandings. (Seriously, I dreamt about the word 'dialogic' last night -- HELP!). And, like he says, psychotherapy is perhaps the easiest example where this is implemented (at least by good therapists).
    At the same time, I found some of Shotter's language a little disturbing. In chapter 7, he specifically engages in describing the therapeutic process, but his descriptions frequently employ the word 'cure' (i.e., p.138)
    Now, when I first was forced into therapy, it was my second greatest wish (the first being: NOT to be there) for my therapist to "fix" me. I would tell this to my doctor, and he would always reply, "deRaismes, only cats and dogs get fixed."
    The connotation of 'cure' is that something is bad, wrong, abnormal. Yes, maybe patients experience their lives like that, but isn't this exactly what Foucault is talking about in his power-knowledge and "medical-gaze" discourse?
    I appreciate Shotter's emphasis on exploring the past to be OK in the present and imagine a future (and this sums up my time in therapy too), but it seems to me that he can't totally escape from the "Enlightened" rationalism implicit in what is "normal" and what is "sick" or "needs curing".

    Finally, like Efe, I loved the dis-ease. brilliant.

    8:26 AM  
    Blogger Eddy said...

    I am glad that Efe mentioned Shotter's comment about science fiction. Apparently there are a number of linguists that would agree with that description of Whorf's study of the Hopi language.

    (An example: Guy Deutscher
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sjpsm )

    I do not know Hopi so I cannot comment on Whorf's work. I do, however, know French (reasonably well). Granted French is far more similar to English than Hopi is. Nevertheless, there are a few interesting differences. Here's a banal one. In French, the word for mother-in-law is "belle-mere," which literally means "beautiful mother." Using Whorf's logic, one might come to the conclusion that French people have much better relationships with their spouses' mothers than English people (I have always thought that the "in-law" moniker makes it sound as if we only associate with our spouses families because we are mandated to by the courts).
    Another example is "sais" vs. "connais." In English we only have one word: "know." Does this mean that English speakers are unable to distinguish between the use of the word "know" in the sentences: "I know Efe" vs. "I know French"?
    Of course not. That is because we understand the two fundamentally distinct concepts that "know" stands for in each case.
    Language may influence how we view the world, but it cannot change humanity's fundamental common worldview.

    8:47 PM  
    Blogger ProfPTJ said...

    In one of the chapters Shotter removed from the first edition to make the second edition -- one of my favorite chapters, so I was sad to see it go -- he has a lengthy footnote engaging with Habermas; the chapter is called "Rhetoric and the Recovery of Civil Society" and the footnote deals with the difference between establishing transcendental conditions of communicative rationality (Habermas) and disclosing the practical processes through which we achieve the ability to ongoingly craft ourselves and our world, processes which depend on fundamentally ambiguous commonplaces and social resources that can't be rationally adjudicated. At the end of the day, Habermas believes in reason's ability to resolve problems; Shotter does not, and puts his faith in changes of the will.

    10:59 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home