Sunday, October 06, 2013

"Is Science Multicultural?": Part 2!

And now, To pile on to Willow’s observations…. This text sent me back to our ongoing discussion of why and how we should be trying to reclaim understandings of science and reason rather than ceding to the center the ability to define and own these ideas as central concepts of debate. Harding engages these questions also—why bother trying to change understandings of “objectivity” and “neutrality” and “science?” Her resulting argument about the rhetorical power of these words and their association with central positions of power echoes our conversations in class, but I can’t help but wonder whether the idea that these words are an important part of the power struggle over what constitutes the discipline is missing a, maybe not more important, but certainly just as important, issue: how do these concepts underlie our ability to seek and produce knowledge, the paths available to us? Given that much of the text actually sheds light on that question, I found it odd not to see it clearly referenced in her direct discussion of why it was important to redefine these terms. Oh, I’m supposed to pose a question about this? How about this one: Why should we be concerned about using these words rather than others? I don’t want to say is their value “just” rhetorical, because I actually think rhetoric is really important and substantive because it shapes our understandings. But what is the purpose of that reshaping? Should some of those possible purposes be considered more important than others? To borrow the statement DeRaismes keeps using, if DeRaismes defines what she does as scientific inquiry that is expanding knowledge, does she have to care if anybody else thinks so, too? I really wanted to be 100% on board with Harding’s thoughts on the “strong objectivity” program of work. Her argument that we should separate objectivity, which she is hesitant to define but links roughly to our desire to produce knowledge consistent with “natural order” or “nature’s regularities,” from neutrality, which she argues masks the politics of the powerful position and inhibits reflection on that positionality, is a compelling one. I do think that a broader reflection on the assumptions, norms, and power distributions that underlie our inquiries would let us expand knowledge and more meaningfully evaluate competing claims of description, explanation, and understanding. But even after re-reading this chapter a few times, I’m left confused as to what this would really look like when we take this approach and use it. Harding is adamant that what she is proposing is distinct from a relativism in which all claims are equally valid, their value claims both examined and undermined by relative evaluation, and their relationship to “facts,” “observations,” or the “natural order” is unimportant. But I’m still struggling to grasp how we would really evaluate competing claims and the extent to which that comparison should be an objective of the process of scientific inquiry. The repeated use of the term “natural order” also gave me pause—the term felt like an attempt to have dualism without being dualist. While I sort of felt what she meant, and I want it to make sense (because it made sense to me), I wonder whether that’s logically possible. This is where the issue of whether we’re reclaiming objectivity for purely rhetorical purposes gets important—as an attempt to assert that reflective work conscious of the scholar as embedded and inevitably influenced by context is still reliable science, can we have our cake and eat it too on the presence of an approximate-able, if unknowable, “natural order” in a world inextricable of our observation of it? I may be second-guessing myself because I liked this book too much, and any time something seems to offer up answers that make sense I get worried it could be too good to be true (and it usually is, because we probably wouldn't spend a lot of time debating these issues if someone had a perfect answer ready to go). But I think there are some instabilities here worth leaning into.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I also struggled with the notion of objectivity. It seemed as though Harding is saying that we do not currently have objective science on account of the fact that so many voices are excluded, but that if all relevant voices were included and science was understood as being co-constitutive with a diverse array of societies and interactions among them, it could reach objectivity. Dominant, euro-centric conceptualizations of science are perceived as objective by those who inhabit dominant social spaces within societies--this is self-evident to all of us in class. Is there necessarily a corollary: that marginalized notions of science based on the questions and mechanisms of knowledge production of marginalized groups are also perceived as objective by those groups? And here I'm not referring to scholars who write from such standpoints, but to ordinary people who might view scientific practices within their own micro-societies as valid forms for knowledge production (particularly of these same marginalized groups view the dominant forms of science as not objective). Or is the pressure to adhere to the dominant form of science enough to displace such notions of objectivity? Or yet, is it impossible for such notions of objectivity to form among marginalized groups' conceptualizations of indigenous/local/standpoint-based science(s) because of their reaction against objectivity within dominant conceptualizations of science?

So although I bought into the general narrative of the text and its implications, the terminology threw me off a bit. I'm not convinced objectivity merits rhetorical reclaiming. It is unlike other terms: i.e. "security," which we might want to reclaim from Realists, et al. and may want to define more broadly than just meaning physical/material/military security. And I find the difference to be a result of my own philosophical ontological commitment to the notion that objectivity is not attainable, even if we include all voices and redefine how we understand science and knowledge production (itself a daunting--if not, impossible--task). And since objectivity, according to my commitments, is not attainable, then I would advocate for doing away with the language of objectivity altogether, or perhaps keeping it around only insofar as we can criticize the notion that it can be achieved.

I also wrote in the margins that "natural order" sounds awfully dualist, even if it is employed from different--and generally marginalized--communities' standpoints.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Patrick Litanga said...

This conversation is fascinating. It sends us back to the heart of Cartesian anxiety (Jackson, 2010). Seeing how Harding reserve herself from providing a clear definition of “objectivity” on one side, yet on the other side she proposes a reclamation of objectivity through the acceptation of pluralism in “scientific” endeavor. Hence, piggybacking on Leah, Willow and Horia, I wonder what are we reclaiming if we do not quite clearly know its contours? In other words, if the very notion of “objectivity” is submerged in the sea of pluralism, what then remains objective? Perhaps, instead of reclaiming “objectivity” we ought to talk about “de-objectivizing” knowledge production.

9:48 AM  
Blogger adabunny said...

I think this also depends on how you use the word 'objective'.

It makes more sense to me if one says: I'm approaching my scholarship as an American white male former disgruntled postal worker (or whatever, just making it interesting... :) ), therefore in acknowledging my position I am being more objective than so-and-so who takes being an Anglo white male (or whatever) for granted.

I'm still not on board if one is just describing scholarship as objective. I get that she wants to correct for the (mis)use of objectivity in the Western world, but I think the whole 'reclaiming' process can get a little out of control, and we end up using the same words but not really communicating at all.

I don't know... which is frequently my refrain in this class.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home